Thursday 30 August 2007

An exciting new breakfast and lunch

Will post the video soon when I have charged the battery!

A bare cupboard forced the invention of a new breakfast today which luckily was a big success. I made some readybrek with less milk than it states so it was extra thick, I then mashed some banana and mixed it in. It was thick enough for JJ to messily scoop up and eat - he loved it (see the video!). I only made a half quantity as I expected him to reject it like he has done with normal ready brek, and he polished it off so quickly I had to hastily make some more (which he didnt eat in the end even though it was thicker and much better!).

Lunch was another big success! We tried mini pittas filled with grated carrot and grated cheese mixed with a bit of cumin and toasted. He loved them and ate 2 full ones. A good tip is to buy a pack of 10 mini pittas and freeze them indivdually. They defrost really quickly and I used to throw half a pack away as we didn't get through them. This way we always have some to hand! He also had the leftover banana readybrek mixed with some creamy greek yogurt - yumm - he loved it! It would make quite a substantial dessert for those days when he doesn't seem to have had much and is only keen on dessert!

Tea was baked cod, broccoli and pasta and pesto. He enjoyed this and ate a fair amount but not loads due to his huge lunch I think!

He also enjoyed a flying visit from Nanna and Grandad before bed - he sends you both a big sloppy kiss! xxx

3 comments:

michelle said...

Hi

Good tip about the pitta's. I also buy them and end up throwing loads away! will try your suggestion for a filling too. I have tried them with Hummus and Philly but she doesn't seem that keen on either really...

We are still going really well at the moment and she seems to be eating more and more each day.

how do you manage with 'normal' meals? So far I have stuck with finger food and haven't really been brave enough for more sloppy meals like shepards pie, lasagne etc? Just can't imagine her managing it really? Advice appreciated!

Michelle

Laura McIntyre said...

Great tip with the pita, he sounds like he has a huge appitite - think will try the readybreak when its colder, just now we just do cheerios (boring i know, just the same as sissy she gets)

mumlollipop said...

Hi Michelle,

Glad things are going well at the minute! As for the shepherds pie thing - I didn't think JJ would manage too well and we made him something different the first time, but he wouldn't eat his and so I put some shepherds pie on his tray and to our surprise he gobbled it up. I thnk its a case of you wont know unless you try. We have most meals the same now - I have quite enjoyed thinking of things we can all eat. I often cut things into slightly bigger chunks so JJ can manage it. I would say next time you're cooking for you, leave out the salt and give some to your LO and have a standby meal just in case. I bet she would love lasgane!

Good luck

Laura - I've not tried cheerios - does your LO just pincer grip them up? Readybreak is a real winter dish but it was so cold here yesterday it seemed appropriate - typical brittish summer!!

Laura xx