Thursday 26 July 2007

The gagging thing

I know that gagging and choking can be the scariest thing for some people when giving their LO's finger foods. It can be a bit scary but isn't a BLW issue as such - it will happen whenever children first experience lumps etc, even if they have had purees first, as it is a learning thing.
Anyway....JJ hardly ever gags anymore - can't remember the last time he did till now and it is usually when he is getting tired. Well I caught it on camera and it shows really well how babies usually naturally deal with gagging themselves. Choking is different as they really can't get the food back up and need help. But gagging is part of the learning process. It can be hard not to panic at first but I soon found JJ was able to deal with it without any fuss. I usually thought I would count to ten before intervening to give him the chance to deal with it and so as not to scare him. I never got past three or four.
Anyway - I thought I'd post the video - might help someone. He does a really cute little shiver afterwards.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

Thanks so much for posting this up, I think babies gag differently, and little JJ looked really cute, and that end-shiver! :)

How old is JJ, if I may ask?

I started my little DS on BLW a month ago, now he is 7 months, but he doesn't eat much at all... he takes it in, plays around with it, mushes it up, then spits it back out.. :( He's still getting loads of BM though..

Thanks for your experiences, they are a gem!

mumlollipop said...

Hi
JJ is 7 months now and usually eats fairly well but has days when he eats very little. It is hard at first but they do get there eventually - it gets tempting to spoon in some purees but try to remember why you chose blw in the first place and keep the faith! If your LO is getting plenty of BM then he will be fine I'm sure. I think I am quite lucky with JJ as he eats quite well - I know other babies often don't actually start eating very much till 9 months or more. Follow your instincts and I'm sure you'll know what's best for you LO.
Good luck - let me know how you get on.
Laura x