Friday 8 June 2007

Well...We made a start!!!


Hmmm....What's this?!

Look mum....no hands!


For about a week we have given Jacob a piece of raw apple or pear to suck on at the table with us, not to eat really but just because he was getting board of sucking his toys! He loved the taste and got really frustrated when they got slippy and fell out of his hands! A couple of days ago he started to bite chunks off. At first I leapt up like a lunatic and scooped them out of his mouth (trying to seem calm for him!). But when he had some pear the other day I decided to keep the faith and let him work out how to handle it. Well, he gave a little cough/gag and brought it into his mouth again, chewed a bit and swallowed it I think! No drama...phew. I must admit I was a bit worried but now I feel a lot better about gagging....I just need to trust my little boy.

I have been struggling as to whether to start actually giving him food to eat yet or not. He is 5 1/2 months now and isn't seeming more hungry. He still feeds as he always has done so there is no reason on that score to start. But he is so interested in food and loves sucking on the fruit and he has started biting and chewing on things rather than just sucking, and had a pincer grasp. I also read through some info on a website ( http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedselintroductie/vast_voedsel/rapley_guidelines.html#early)


which said:

The babies who participated in the research were allowed to begin at four months. But they were not able to feed themselves before six months. Some of the younger babies picked food up and took it to their mouths; some even chewed it, but none swallowed it. Their own development decided for them when the time was right.

So I though I would give it a go today on the spur of the moment as Jacob was getting so cross watching us eat our lunch! So we gave him some banana and some cucumber strips which he has had before to suck on. We made sure not to put it in his mouth as the guidelines say so that he could have it if he wanted and was able. Not sure if he actually swallowed anything but he definitely mushed up the banana! He kept pulling funny faces so not sure if he liked it but it kept going back in his mouth! He really loves the cucumber though! I think it feels nice and cool on his gums. He sucks the seeds and chews on it - I can hear his gums squeak against it! I will wait for the nappy tomorrow to see if any was swallowed. But he definitely enjoyed the experience and got very cross when all the cucumber was on the floor!

This is such good fun! I'm in no rush though as he is not yet 6 months and isn't starving. I think I will just give him something if he is awake when its lunchtime ( he often has his nap when I have lunch and is in bed when we eat dinner usually). I am conscious I may be doing this because I enjoy it rather than for his good so want to take it steady.

1 comment:

Ariana said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.